Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tanzania & Zambia

Elephants, Rhino, Lions...Oh my! Imagine yourself traveling in a jeep with several other people, looking for animals you've only ever seen in cages. The animals are in their natural habitat, going about life the way they always have. Africa is an unspoiled landscape, with natural beauty surrounding you in all directions. Photo safaris, luxury safaris, budget safaris...you name it, they've got it. Going on a safari in Tanzania is my ultimate dream vacation...and unfortunately one I will have to wait a long time to go on. Why? They are sooo expensive! (Seriously, look it up.) I can, however, dream about it and plan for it so when the time comes, I will be ready!

In reality, I will probably not have time to do everything I want to do in one trip. But I'm going to plan it like I can, anyways! My African journey will begin by flying into the Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania. I would start with a trek up to the top of the  "Roof of Africa," a.k.a Kilimanjaro. It is the easiest trek of the 7 summits, but still takes a lot of training. To trek to the top, you must be with a tour (or at least a private tour guide.) The trip can take anywhere from 6-10 days, depending on which route you choose to take. Some of the paths will take you through 5 different environmental zones and traverse under huge hanging glaciers. This is truly an awe-inspiring journey, as well as an amazing conversation starter. So get on that treadmill, book your ticket, and go climb the highest mountain in Africa. I promise you won't regret it!

After my successful summit of Kilimanjaro, I will begin my Tanzanian safari. My safari will be the Northern circuit, which happens to be the most popular. Most tours begin in Arusha, a big city near the Kilimanjaro airport. Almost any company you decide to go with will handle every detail of your trip from the moment you step off the plane, until they drop you off there at the end of the journey. It's nice to have that peace of mind! There are many variations on safaris, and you should  do a lot of research to find the one that best suits you. The first stop on my safari will be Lake Manyara national park. It is one of the smaller reserves, yet can boast  a higher diversity of plant and animal species than Serengeti. Nearly two-thirds of the park is covered by the lake. This is a renowned bird watching spot, as well as flamingos and elephants. This area is also well known for its tree-climbing lions, an unusual sighting in other areas.

After Lake Manyara, we come to the Ngorongoro crater, which was once a giant volcano. This is one of the most beautiful and concentrated areas of wildlife on earth. The crater floor is comprised of several distinct habitats including forest, swamps, grasslands, and sandy dunes. An estimated 25,000 large mammals are residents, including wildebeest, endangered black rhinos, and lions. Smaller animals include jackal, buffalo, zebra, and gazelles. It is considered the largest zoo in the world because of the mass amounts of wildlife in one place, and definitely on my must see list!

Next Stop: The Serengeti! Arguably one of the finest parks in Africa, the Serengeti is famous for its vast open grasslands and amazing wildlife sightings. The ecosystem is one of the oldest on earth, and is home to two world heritage sites and two biosphere reserves. For a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, plan to visit this park at the height of the great migration. Hundreds of thousands of wildebeests, zebras, and others cross the plains and rivers in their paths risking their lives with crocodiles, lions, and other constant predators. It's like a reality TV show...the original 'Survival of the fittest!'

The last stop on my list is Tarangire national park. This park is known for its vast herds of elephants and large number of baobab trees. Here you will find the largest concentration of wildlife outside of Serengeti national park. It is also the one place in Tanzania where you can regularly observe dry-county antelope. Along the river you can spot several of the "Big 5", as well as many others.

That wraps up my safari adventure. If I can find an operator who also includes the Masai Mara in Kenya, that would be my top choice! There are also many adventures you can add to your safari, depending on what the company offers. Hot air balloon rides, trips to local villages, bush-walks, canoeing, and camel back riding are just a few options!
*If you want to add on an easy side trip to one of the  best beaches in East Africa, check out the island of Zanzibar (also known as Spice Island)!

Now, I know this is the ideal time to end your vacation and head home, sharing all your pictures and memories with family and friends. My journey, however, has one more stop. Though this last segment will almost certainly have to be another trip altogether, this is my ideal itinerary and I can do whatever I want with it. So, for my final leg I will travel to Zambia. I am not going for another safari, rather to see the magnificent Victoria Falls. One of the wonders of the world, there is plenty to do and see around this area. Bungee jumping, gorge-swimming,  helicopter rides, walks through the rain forest and across the Knife Edge bridge all give you spectacular views of the falls. If you are brave and looking for something extra adventurous, check out Devil's Pool. During the dry season, the water is low enough where you can swim right to the edge of the falls and peer over the 300 ft drop in front of you. There have been no casualties...yet ;)
Check out this Video, Devil's Pool!!

While in Zambia, I think I might like to do a one day canoe safari, but I'm terrified that we will be attacked by crocodiles...so you can decide for yourself if you want to risk it. There is also a Lion encounter tour, where you interact with free roaming lion cubs. Check it out at http://www.victoriafalls.net/lion_encounter.htm. Between Sightseeing, safaris, and adventure sports there will never be a dull moment. Be sure to do some research before your trip so you don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment